- NORTHBORO, MASS: Junior shortstop Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) plated two runs including the eventual game-winner to lead the Anna Maria College baseball team to a 3-2 win over visiting Lasell University in GNAC action on Friday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex in Northboro, Massachusetts. The Lasers would go on to edge the AMCATS in the nightcap, 16-10.
- Date: Friday, April 23, 2021
- Score: Game 1 - Anna Maria 3, Lasell 2 | Game 2 – Lasell 16, Anna Maria 10
- Records: Lasers of Lasell (8-16, 7-5 GNAC), Anna Maria (13-8, 5-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The opener saw Anna Maria senior pitcher Jack Marzec (Northbridge, MA / Northbridge) allow just one earned run and strikeout nine Lasers in seven innings on the mound for the AMCATS, a season best. Anna Maria got on the board in the bottom of the first off an RBI single to center from senior first baseman Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA). Then with the score tied at 1-1 in the bottom of the third, Drosidis hit a sacrifice fly to plate senior center fielder Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, MA) and put the AMCATS back on top. Finally, in the bottom of the sixth, Drosidis crushed a ball over the fence in left-center for his fifth home run of the season on a solo shot. That would hold up to give Anna Maria the win.
- In game two, Lasell jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the top of the first, only to watch the AMCATS rally with their usual grit and determination. Anna Maria sophomore third baseman James Powers (Folsom, CA) double to right in the bottom of the inning to plate Drosidis. Then in the bottom of the second, the AMCATS would explode with five runs to tie the game. Twitchell got the ball flying with a double to left center to plate two runs. On the very next at bat, junior left fielder Jarrod Marifiote (Framingham, MA) went over the wall on a three-run shot for his second home run of the season, knotting things up at 6-6. The AMCATS took their first lead of the game in the bottom of the third, as senior designated hitter Nick Genatossio (Sutton, MA) came to the plate with no one on and hit a homer to left-center. Down 10-7 in the bottom of the fourth, the AMCATS refused to go away as Drosidis singled to plate yet another run, followed by Powers driving in two more with another home run. But the final three innings of the game saw Lasell scored six unanswered runs to pull away.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Drosidis went a combined four-of-five on the day with three RBI. Twitchell, batting leadoff, scored four runs with four hits and three stolen bases.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Saturday when they travel to Albertus Magnus College for a 12:00 p.m. GNAC double-header.