PAXTON, MA: The Anna Maria College baseball team ran their record to 4-0 to start the 2021 season with a 16-4 win over visiting Becker College on Wednesday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Massachusetts. It is the best start to a season for the AMCATS in program history.
- Date: 3/10/21
- Score: Anna Maria 16, Becker 4
- Records: Becker (0-2), Anna Maria (4-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Anna Maria sophomore third baseman James Powers (Folsom, CA), who already entered the day leading the AMCATS in RBI's, got the scoring started in the bottom of the first as he doubled to center to drive in a run to put the home team up 1-0.
- Becker would pull ahead in the top of the second, as freshman Carter Jackman (Kanab, Utah) hit a two RBI single through the right side, putting the Hawks up 2-1. Three batters later, senior Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) came to the plate with the bases loaded, reaching on a throwing error that broke up a double-play attempt and allowed two runs to score as Becker went ahead 4-1.
- In the bottom of the second, the AMCATS would rally, as junior centerfielder Zac Genovezos (Fairhaven, MA) came to the plate with the bases juiced and crushed a bases-clearing double for his first hit of the season to tie it up at 4-4. On the very next at-bat, Anna Maria senior pitcher Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, MA), would plate Genovezos with an RBI single to get Anna Maria back into the lead. Later in the inning, a costly wild pitch by Becker allowed two more Anna Maria runs to score. Just like that, the AMCATS took a 7-4 lead.
- In the bottom of the third, junior Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) came to the plate with the bases loaded and lined a shot to left field to plate two more runs for Anna Maria as the AMCATS pushed their lead to 9-4.
- It was Twitchell again coming up strong for Anna Maria in the bottom of the fourth, as he took advantage of loaded bases and ripped a single up the middle to plate two more. Later in the inning, Powers came to the plate with the bases loaded and blasted a two-RBI double off the right field fence as the AMCATS started to pull away with a 13-4 advantage.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Anna Maria junior first baseman Nick Morley (Milbury, MA) blooped an RBI single to left field to tack on yet another run.
- The AMCATS tacked on two more in the bottom of the seventh when senior second baseman Fili Veras (Sleepy Hollow, NY) reached on an RBI fielder's choice to plate another run, followed by an RBI double to left by senior pinch hitter Phillip Antonucci IV (Revere, MA) to make it 16-4.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Anna Maria sophomore pitcher Brock Eskildsen (Murrieta, CA) picked up the win for the AMCATS for his first victory of the season, coming into the game in relief and striking out three Hawks over three innings and allowing no runs.
- Veras was a frequent scorer for the AMCATS, with three runs scored.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Saturday when they travel to Eastern Connecticut State University for a noontime double-header.