- PROVIDENCE, RI: The Anna Maria baseball team took down Johnson & Wales in both GNAC contests this afternoon to clinch a top seed going into the GNAC tournament. Game one saw the AMCATS come out on top in extra innings 14-13, and game two finished 9-4.
- Date: 4/30/2021
- Score: Anna Maria 14, JWU 13 (Game One), Anna Maria 9, JWU 4 (Game Two)
- Records: JWU (8-12, 6-4), Anna Maria (17-8, 9-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game one saw a quick AMCAT lead through five innings at 10-9. Johnson & Wales found their way back in the sixth with the tying run and even matched Anna Maria's three runs in the top of the seventh to force extra innings. The top of the eighth was all the AMCATS needed as they were able to plate one to put them on top for the victory.
- Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) stole the show with a five-hit ball game that was accompanied by five RBI's and three doubles. Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA) racked up three hits of his own, plating another three for the 'CATS.
- Game two saw a much slower pace out of the gate with a 2-1 Wildcat lead through two. The AMCATS exploded for five runs in the top of the third to go on top 6-3. Anna Maria would tack on another two in the top of the fifth to extend their lead to five with an 8-3 score. The AMCATS took a 9-4 lead into the seventh and held it there to complete the sweep.
- Holland continued hitting the ball in game two, picking up another hit and two runs batted in. Twitchell finished game two going 1-for-4 with a two RBI single to help the AMCATS take down their top competition in the conference.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Game one had four pitchers get an appearance for Anna Maria. The last one on the bump was Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, MA). Twitchell got the win to improve to 2-0 on the season after two innings of work with just two hits allowed and one strikeout.
- Liam Cunningham (Northbridge, MA) got the win for game two on the mound for the 'CATS, improving to 3-1 on the season. In his four and a third innings, he gave up just four hits and had nine strikeouts.
- Anna Maria awaits the GNAC tournament schedule to see who they will be playing next Thursday.