PAXTON, MA: The Anna Maria College baseball team moved to 2-0 on the season with a convincing 10-5 victory over visiting New England College on Sunday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Massachusetts.
Score: Anna Maria 10, NEC 5
Records: AMCATS of Anna Maria 2-0 | Pilgrims of NEC 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The AMCATS took the lead with a four run burst in the bottom of the second inning. After senior designated hitter Nick Genatossio (Sutton, MA / Sutton) scored off a wild pitch to tie the game at 1-1, senior right fielder Jason Shell (Sandwich, MA / Upper Cape Tech) gave Anna Maria the lead for the first time with an RBI double to right center. Two batters later, junior left fielder Jarrod Marifiote (Framingham, MA / Framingham) singled to right field, plating two more runs.
- In the bottom of the third, senior first baseman Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA / Sandwich) crushed his first home run of the season, a dinger over the left field wall as the AMCATS went ahead 5-1.
- NEC would get a run back in the top of the fourth as freshman third baseman Garrett Langis (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding) singled home a run to cut the lead to 5-2.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Anna Maria all but put the game away with five runs plated, the first of those coming off a solo homer from Shell. Later with the bases loaded, the AMCATs scored again off a balk, only to watch sophomore third baseman James Powers (Folsom, CA / Folsom Lake College) hit his team-leading second home run of the season just two pitches later to tack on three more, setting the score at 10-2.
- That would prove to be all the offense Anna Maria would need. NEC scored two runs off balks in the top of the seventh before senior outfielder BJ Minarcin (Naples, Fla.) closed out the scoring with a solo homer to right center in the top of the ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Anna Maria senior pitcher Jack Marzec (Northbridge, MA / Northbridge) picked up the win, striking out eight and allowing just one earned run in five innings on the mound.
- Through two games, Powers leads the AMCATs in home runs (two), RBI (eight) and slugging (1.200) while tying for the team lead in hits with five.
- Anna Maria is back in action on Tuesday when they play host to Northern Vermont University – Lyndon in a 3:00 p.m. game.