- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria baseball team took down Mitchell College this afternoon with a four-run seventh inning, winning their fifth non-conference game of the season.
- Date: 3/17/2021
- Score: Anna Maria 7, Mitchell 4
- Records: Mitchell (5-2), Anna Maria (5-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The AMCATS got the scoring started in the bottom of the second on a Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA) double to deep right center field. Third baseman James Powers (Folsom, CA) scored on the play from first base after reaching on an infield single.
- Mitchell would cut Anna Maria's lead to just one in the top of the fourth inning after Steve Cochrane took one yard to deep left center field. The Mariners took a 1-2 deficit into the bottom of the fourth.
- Anna Maria tacked one more on in the bottom of the fourth to extend the lead back to two runs on an Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, MA) single through the left side.
- The Mariners would tie it up in the top of the fifth, after the first out in the inning. The next two batters reached via a walk and a hit by pitch. Both runners would score due to a throwing error by the AMCATS.
- Mitchell would take their first lead of the contest in the top of the seventh on a sacrifice fly by Dougie Delacruz.
- The bottom of the seventh was Anna Maria's biggest inning at the plate. They entered the half inning down 4-3 and were able to plate four in the inning to get the final score 7-4. Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) started the inning off with a bullet to the left center field fence for a stand up triple. The very next at bat was the automatic Powers, who was looking for his third hit in the game, which he got on an RBI double down the right field line. That tied the game up at 4-4, but the CAT's weren't done yet. Holland then stepped into the box and hit a line drive single into left field to plate Powers from second. Fili Veras (Sleepy Hollow, NY) continued the outburst of hitting from the AMCATS with their third extra base hit of the inning with a double to right center, moving Holland into scoring position. Freshmen Aidan Calcaterra (Bayonne, NJ) stepped up huge as a pinch hitter, swinging at the first pitch and sending it into left center field for a two RBI single.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jakari Pellegrini was tagged with the loss for the Mariners.
- Joe Dorman (Sandwich, MA) Started the contest for the AMCATS going three scoreless innings with two strikeouts and just two hits allowed.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Saturday with a doubleheader against Framingham State. They will host the Rams at NEBC, with the first pitch coming at noon.