- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria College baseball team defeated Rhode Island College this afternoon in non-conference action 9-5 at the New England Baseball Complex. RIC is ranked 10th in the New England Baseball Journal Coaches Poll for the New England region.
- Date: 3/25/2021
- Score: ANM 9, RIC 5
- Records: RIC (1-3), Anna Maria (7-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first four innings of the contest were very quiet for both impressive lineups. It wasn't until the fifth when things started up for both sides. RIC took a 2-1 lead into the fifth and extended that lead to 5-1 after four walks in the inning, leading to one score and a single up the middle by Nate Vigeant to plate an additional two.
- The AMCAT lineup finally showed some life in the bottom of the fifth. Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, MA) started the inning off with an RBI single to left field, scoring one. The next batter was Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA), who came up with two on and delivered the biggest at bat of the game with a three-run shot to left field to tie it up at 5-5. They added one more later in the inning when Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) hit his own home run that just cleared the left field fence to give the AMCATS their first lead of the contest.
- The Anchorman wouldn't score the remainder of the ball game, but Anna Maria would add onto their lead in the bottom of the sixth on a suicide squeeze that was executed perfectly by Zac Genovezos (Fairhaven, MA).
- Scoring would end in the bottom of the seventh when the 'CATS tacked on two more runs on a single up the middle by Nick Genatossio (Sutton, MA).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Twitchell was 4-for-5 on the day with a solo shot and 2 RBI's.
- Noah Holland was 3-for-4 with a three-run home run, a double, and 3 RBI's.
- Anthony Pingeton (Charlton, MA) Picked up his first win of the season on 1.1 innings pitched 1 hit allowed and 1 strikeout.
- Anna Maria returns to action Saturday as they host Johnson & Wales to start conference play. They will be playing at Johnson & Wales for the doubleheader, with first pitch coming at 1 PM.