- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria baseball team came out on top this afternoon against nonconference opponent New England College. Late inning success at the plate saw the AMCATS pull ahead to a 13-6 victory.
- Date: 2/28/2021
- Score: ANM 13, NEC 6
- Records: NEC (0-1), ANM (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The AMCATS went on to win after having two four-run innings that included two homeruns and four doubles.
- Jarrod Marifiote (Framingham, MA) started the scoring off for Anna Maria with a first-inning bomb to right-center field.
- The Pilgrims had their biggest inning in the second as they put up four runs of their own to gain the lead. After two walks and a single NEC had the bases loaded with just one out. Luka Giallongo hit a ball up the middle that was miss-handled, plating two. Next up was BJ Minarcin, who hit a single up the middle scoring their third run of the contest giving them their first lead. Harutaro Takahashi finished the four-run inning with a groundout RBI to give the Grims a two-run lead at 4-2.
- The AMCATS answered right back in the bottom of the second with a four-spot of their own after a walk and two errors plating one. Marifiote continued his day with a ground rule double which plated two more 'Cats to give them the lead back. James Powers (Folsom, CA) made his presence known with a stinging single into center field to plate the inning's final run.
- The game remained at 6-6 until the bottom of the sixth when Powers took a fastball over the plate and turned it into a grand slam to jolt Anna Maria up to ten runs to New England's six.
- The seventh inning was the last either team scored. The AMCATS put up three more in that inning to reach the final score of 13-6. After an error and a Fili Veras (Sleepy Hollow, NY) single, Greg Gehring (Southold, NY) plated both of them on a double ripped down the third baseline. The last score for the AMCATS came on an Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, MA) sacrifice fly, scoring Gehring.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Chris Brouwer (Northbridge, MA) picked up his first win of the 2021 season after going three innings and striking out five.
- Marifiote ended the game batting 3-for-5 with 3 RBI's, a homerun, and 2 doubles.
- Powers also went 3-for-5 on the day with 5 RBI's, a grand slam, and a double.
- Anna Maria returns to action next Saturday for a doubleheader against Mitchell College. The first pitch is slated for noon.