- WEST HARTFORD, CT: The Anna Maria men's lacrosse team took the field this afternoon for their second conference game of the young season against the University of Saint Joseph, where they fell 19-13.
- Date: 3/23/2021
- Score: USJ 19, ANM 13
- Records: USJ (2-1, 1-0), Anna Maria (1-2, 1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first quarter consisted of eight scores, with five coming from the home squad. The AMCATS found the back of the net three times in the first. Ethan Qinn (Dudley, MA) got Anna Maria on the board with 12:47 left in the first. Later in the quarter, the 'CATS tied it up at 3-3 after back to back scores from Tim Harrington (Chicopee, MA) and Eric Glover (Baldwinville, MA). The Blue Jays would net two in response to take a 5-3 lead into the second. Ryan Paltauf scored two in the first to lead all scorers.
- The second was dominated by USJ as they put up another five scores to Anna Maria's two. Owen LaPorte completed the hat trick with two goals in the second to add to his one in the first for the Blue Jays. Cameron Perry (Coventry, RI) scored the fourth goal for the AMCATS in the second. Perry followed that up with his first assists as well on a Nick Massaro (West Haven, CT) goal to end the scoring in the first half for Anna Maria.
- The AMCATS came out at the half looking to shrink the deficit that grew to 10-5 at the half. The third quarter saw Anna Maria outscore the home team five to four. Quinn started it off for the visiting squad for his second goal of the game. Tommy Girard (Newbury, MA) made his way onto the stat sheet with the 'CATS seventh goal of the contest. The quarter ended with Glover and Massaro beating the USJ goalie for the second time each and Aiden Foster (Rehoboth, MA) scoring the tenth goal for Anna Maria to bring the deficit to just four.
- The final quarter of action saw the AMCATS cut the Blue Jays lead to just two after two unanswered goals to start the fourth. Perry netted his second of the game, with Glover finalizing the hat trick. However, that would be as close as they would get, as USJ would answer with five straight scores to increase their lead to 19-12. The AMCATS would close out the scoring with their thirteenth goal of the contest. Eric Glover finished the game with his fourth goal on the day.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Griffin Moore (Worcester, MA) would get the loss in net today after seeing 38 shots and making 19 saves.
- Trey McCann picks up the win for the Blue Jays after facing 22 shots and saving 9 of them.
- The AMCATS would rack up 9 minutes on 12 infractions compared to just 2.5 minutes on 4 infractions for USJ.
- Anna Maria returns to action this Saturday for another conference contest against Lasell University at 11 am.