- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria College men's lacrosse team lost 16-9 to visiting Emmanuel College in GNAC league play on Saturday in the AMCATS regular season finale at Carposo Field in Paxton.
- Date: Saturday, April 24, 2021
- Score: Emmanuel 16, Anna Maria 9
- Records: Saints of Emmanuel (3-5, 3-4 GNAC), AMCATS of Anna Maria (1-7, 1-6 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The AMCATS struck first when senior midfielder Zion Mercado (Limerick, ME), playing in the final home game of his career, scored just 17 seconds into the game on an unassisted goal to put Anna Maria up 1-0. It was the first goal of the season for Mercado and his 19th in 43 career games.
- Down 2-1, Anna Maria turned to senior attacker Cameron Perry (Coventry, RI), the team's leading scorer, for the equalizer, as he found the back of the net with 4:51 to go in the first quarter. It was Perry's 20th goal of the season and the 55th of his storied collegiate career.
- Later trailing 7-2 midway through the second quarter, Anna Maria freshman attacker Ethan Quinn (Dudley, MA) continued to produce in his stellar rookie campaign, taking a pass from junior attacker Nick Massaro (West Haven, CT) and scoring his tenth goal of the season with 7:44 to go in the half.
- Perry would score his second goal of the game with 4:16 remaining in the second, that on an unassisted shot, making the score 7-4.
- With 2:33 left in the first half, Anna Maria freshman attacker Aiden Foster (Rehoboth, MA) took a pass from junior attacker Quinn Hannagan (South Windsor, CT) and scored his fourth goal of the year, pulling the AMCATS to within three at 8-5. That score would hold up going into halftime.
- Just 47 seconds into the second half, the AMCATS would get back on offense with Quinn's second goal of the game, assisted by Massaro. Once down by as much as five, Anna Maria had stormed back to pull to within two.
- Down 9-6, Massaro found Quinn for the rookie's third goal of the game with 11:27 to pull the home team back to within two. It was the second career hat trick for Quinn, who previously had three goals at Albertus Magnus on March 20th.
- With Anna Maria's chances fading down the stretch, the AMCATS turned to junior midfielder Eric Glover (Baldwinville, MA), who scored off an unassisted shot with 10:23 remaining and the score now at 14-8.
- Finally, with 2:01 remaining in the game, Hannagan scored unassisted for his eighth goal of the season. That would represent the final goal of the game.
- Emmanuel sophomore attacker Ryan Castle (Boxford, MA) led the Saints with seven goals, one assist and seven ground balls. Junior Colin Dickinson (Barre, VT) added three goals and two assists.
- Anna Maria senior goalkeeper Gage Garcia (Newington, CT) tallied nine saves between the pipes for the AMCATS. Emmanuel freshman goalkeeper Eric Anderson (Sparta, NJ) earned the win for the Saints, finishing with ten stops.
- Mercado led Anna Maria with ten ground balls. Emmanuel sophomore midfielder Derek DelVecchio (Saugus, MA) led the Saints with ten pickups.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Shots: EMN 46, ANM 27
- Shots on Goal: EMN 25, ANM 19
- Turnovers: ANM 25, EMN 19
Prior to the game, the Anna Maria men's lacrosse program recognized their graduating senior class as part of Senior Day. Mercado, Perry and Gage were joined by senior defender Robert Napolitano (Levittown, NY), senior midfielder Tim Harrington (Chicopee, MA), senior goalkeeper Griffin Moore (Worcester, MA) and senior defender Hunter LaRochelle (Chicopee, MA) in being recognized by coaches, teammates, family members and fans for all their contributions not only to the men's lacrosse team but to the Anna Maria community as a whole. Although their time on the field may be coming to an end they will forever be a part of the AMCAT family.
- With their regular season concluded, Anna Maria now awaits official word on their place in the upcoming GNAC Championship Tournament.