- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria College men's lacrosse team lost 11-9 to visiting Johnson & Wales University in GNAC action on Thursday afternoon at Carposo Field in Paxton, Massachusetts.
- Date: Thursday, April 15, 2021
- Score: Johnson & Wales 11, Anna Maria 9
- Records: Johnson & Wales (2-2, 2-2 GNAC), Anna Maria (1-5, 1-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Down 2-0 in the opening minutes, the AMCATS responded with grit, as freshman attacker Ethan Quinn (Dudley, MA) scored his first goal of the game just 3:01 into the first quarter, assisted by junior attacker Nick Massaro (West Haven, CT).
- Later down 4-1 in the first, Anna Maria senior attacker Cameron Perry (Coventry, RI) found Massaro for a shot and goal with 3:19 to go in the opening quarter.
- The AMCATS pulled to within one with just 45 seconds left in the first, as Perry – the team's leading scorer entering the game – found the back of the net on an unassisted shot to make the score 4-3.
- Trailing 6-3 at halftime, Anna Maria refused to back down, with sophomore midfielder Tommy Girard (Newbury, MA) finding Perry for the senior's second goal of the game, pulling the score to within two.
- With 26 seconds left in the third quarter and Anna Maria's chances of a comeback fading, the AMCATS turned to Massaro once again, as the junior found the back of the net on an unassisted shot. The teams went into the final quarter with the Wildcats leading 9-5. It would be Massaro again with 8:34 to go in the fourth, scoring his third goal of the game to make it 10-6, assisted by Perry.
- Less than a minute later, Perry would claim his hat trick, pulling the AMCATS to within three with 7:51 to go on an unassisted goal.
- Trailing by four with 3:46 to go in the game, Anna Maria junior midfielder Eric Glover (Baldwinville, MA) kept the AMCATS hopes alive with his first goal of the contest, assisted by Massaro.
- Then with 2:17 to go, Perry would find Massaro for his fourth goal of the day, pulling the AMCATS to within two.
- But Anna Maria would get no closer, as Johnson & Wales hunkered down held the AMCATS scoreless for the remainder of the game.
- Anna Maria senior goalkeeper Griffin Moore (Worcester, MA) finished with 13 saves for the AMCATS.
- Anna Maria senior defender Tyler Shaw (Fulton, NY) finished with a team-high nine ground balls on the day.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Shots: JWU 35, ANM 32
- Shots on Goal: ANM 22, JWU 17
- Turnovers: JWU 33, ANM 28
- Anna Maria returns to action on Saturday when they host Rivier College in an 11:00 a.m. conference matchup.