PAXTON, MA - Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) dropped a career-high 37 points as the Anna Maria College AMCATS (4-9) topped the Dean College Bulldogs (2-7) Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at the Fuller Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After being tied at 12 with 3:40 left, the 'CATS went on an 11-2 run to close out the quarter led by Amber Wilson (New York, NY) and her five points that included a three. Sierra Johnson chipped in four points all from the free-throw line, and Hailey Vergara (Rialto, CA) knocked down a jumper for the 23-14 lead after one.
- In the second quarter, Anna Maria registered their largest lead (15) with 5:39 left after going on a 16-8 run to make the score 39-22. Sierra Johnson spearheaded the run with nine of the 16 points. Ashley Rufo (Pittsfield, MA) added five points and Wilson hit two free throws to increase the AMCATS lead. However, Dean closed the half on a 9-0 run paced by Sadie Homer (North Easton, MA) and Mackayla Rudder (Springfield, MA) who had six and three points respectively to cut the score to 45-37.
- Dean came out hot to start to thrid quarter when they opened with a 7-2 run and had the deficit down to three (47-44) at 4:34. Four different Bulldogs contributed to the rally; Kayleigh Merrell (Wilmington, NC), Alexah Potter (East Hartford, CT), Ajerah Sidbury (Wilmington, NC) and Rudder each had two and one points respectively.
- Three points were the closest Dean ever got to retake the lead as the squad went on a 12-3 run to ultimately seal the contest. After a Wilson free throw and made jumper by Rufo, Sierra Johnson took over as she scored five of the last seven points in the quarter for Anna Maria and ended the third with a 59-48 lead.
- While Dean won the fourth (16-14), Sierra Johnson continued her strong shooting as she scored 11 of her 37 points in the quarter to seal the 73-64 victory for the AMCATS.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sierra Johnson led all scorers with a career and season-high, 37 points on 12-18 shooting and a perfect 3-3 from three-point range.
- Johnson's 37 points are good for second in program history for points in a game (38-Meghan DePatsy vs. Eastern Nazarene-January 9, 2007).
- Wilson registered her fourth double-double on the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
- Rudder had a double-double for Dean with a team-high 23 points and 18 rebounds. Potter also had a double-double for the Bulldogs (12 points, 14 rebounds).
- Anna Maria outshot Dean both from the field and three-point line (39.7/33.3 versus 31.1/12.5).
- The 'CATS also held an advantage at the free-throw line with a 68 percent (17-25) 57.1 percent (16-28) advantage.
- Dean had more turnovers compared to Anna Maria (21 versus 14).
Anna Maria travels to Worcester St. on Thursday, January 9 at 12:00 PM. Dean continues their road trip heading to Elms College on Tuesday, January 7 at 5 PM.