PAXTON, MA - The Anna Maria College women's basketball team (3-6) fell to the Mitchell College Mariners (4-3), Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at the Fuller Center Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mariners came out fast in the first quarter when they outscored the AMCATS, 13-4 led by Leilani McClellan (Bozrah, CT) and Le'Sandra Turner (New Rochelle, NY) four points. Mitchell also received scores from Amina Wiley (New Rochelle, NY) (three points) and Sam McKenna (Millbrook, NY) (two points).
- For Anna Maria, the 'CATS saw buckets from Amber Wilson (New York, NY) and Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) to pace the offense in the quarter.
- Despite being outscored in the second (15-14), the squad utilized a 10-2 run in the first four minutes of the quarter to pull within one. Ashley Rufo (Pittsfield, MA) spearheaded the run with six points off two made three-pointers. Sienna Johnson (Brockton, MA) also added four points to cut the deficit to 15-14.
- However, for the remaining three minutes, Mitchell went on a 10-2 run of their own to close out the half led by Wiley's four points. The Mariners also received contributions from Jessica Lohneiss (West Hartford, CT) who made a three, and McClellan who hit a jumper.
- Once the third quarter started, the closest the AMCATS got was seven early in the quarter. Sienna Johnson and Hailey Vergara (Rialto, CA) each chipped in two points while Wilson also knocked down a free throw to make the score 30-23.
- From there, the Mariners had a 12-6 run to close out the third led by McClellan and Wiley's four points. Mitchell also received two points from Turner and Inanna Rice (New Britan, CT) for the 42-29 lead.
- As the fourth quarter went on, Mitchell reached their largest lead of the contest with five minutes left when McClellan made a layup for the 52-33 advantage. Anna Maria closed the quarter with five points from Wilson after she hit a jump shot and three-pointer. Unfortunately, it was not enough as Mitchell held on for the 56-44 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wilson led the squad with 14 points and Ruffo was the other double-digit scorer (10 points).
- Wiley led all-scorers with 20 points and a game-high 32 rebounds for the visitors.
- Although Mitchell held a better shooting percentage (36.2) compared to Anna Maria's 25.9 percent, the 'CATS had a better three-point percentage (17.2) compared to Mitchell's 10.
- The Mariners also had more turnovers (18) compared to the AMCATS 15. Anna Maria forced more than half of the turnovers (10) in the first half.
Anna Maria hits the road when they travel to Framingham St. on Thursday, December 12 at 6 PM. Mitchell returns home on Tuesday, December 10 at 5 PM.