LEICESTER, MA - In a hard-fought contest between both sides, the Anna Maria College women's basketball (0-2) team dropped an overtime thriller to the Becker College Hawks (1-2), 64-60 Tuesday evening at the Leicester Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The AMCATS came out hot right out the gate, the squad outscored the Hawks 12-0 after the first quarter. Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) and Hailey Vergara's (Rialto, CA) five points paced Anna Maria during their run. Amber Wilson (New York, NY) chipped in two points of her own and a block as well. Hailey Moore (Worcester, MA) helped preserve the first quarter shutout after she swatted away two shots.
- When the second quarter was underway, Becker responded with a 20-6 run and took a 20-18 lead into halftime. Five different Hawks contributed to their big run, including six points from Natasha Pacheco (Fairfax, VA) and Sarah Ware (Oakham, MA).
- Anna Maria outscored Becker in a back and forth third quarter (20-15). The largest lead the 'Cats saw in the quarter was six courtesy of a 6-0 run with 6:22 remaining. After Moore converted a layup to tie the contest at 28, Wilson knocked down two free throws and a jumper, while Vergara made a layup for the 34-28 advantage.
- Becker pulled within one with a minute left in the third after a Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, MA) layup (34-33). However, Wilson and Sienna Johnson (Brockton, MA) each scored within the final minute and pushed the lead to five before Harrison made a layup with four seconds left to cut the lead to 38-35 going into the fourth.
- The fourth quarter started the same as the first for the AMCATS after the squad rattled off five straight points from a three by Wilson and a layup by Sienna Johnson to give Anna Maria their largest lead of the night (43-35).
- Each team continued to push themselves for the rest of the quarter and after a made free throw by Vergara to put the AMCATS up 57-55 with 1:28 left, Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, RI) hit two free throws with 30 seconds left and tied things up. Wilson made a buzzer-beater three that was ultimately waived off after the officials deemed the ball was not released in time.
- Once overtime began, Becker pulled away after they outscored the 'Cats 7-3 for the eventual 64-60 win. Anna Maria got within three twice in the period, first when Sienna Johnson made a free throw to cut the Hawks lead to 61-58. The other opportunity for Anna Maria came at 1:20 remaining down 63-58 after Wilson buried a jumper to and made score 63-60.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Wilson had her first double-double of the season after she poured in 24 points along with 11 rebounds.
- Sierra Johnson and Vergara were the two other double-digit scorers for the squad with 13 and 10 points respectively.
- Franchesca Hammond (Worcester, MA) collected a team-high 15 rebounds on the evening.
- Harrison's 24 points led Becker in the contest.
- Pacheco had a double-double for the Hawks (12 points, 15 rebounds).
- For the first time in program history, Anna Maria held an opposing team scoreless in a quarter (based upon available data).
- Anna Maria out blocked Becker, 8-0 (Wilson had half of the team blocks).
Anna Maria has their home-opener on Saturday, November 16 at 1 PM versus Northern Vermont University-Lyndon. Meanwhile, Becker continues their homestand against the University of New England on Thursday, November 14 at 7 PM.