- NEW HAVEN, CT: The Anna Maria College softball team lost both games of their Friday evening double-header at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven, Connecticut, losing a heart-breaker in extra innings, 5-4, before falling 2-1 in the night cap.
- Date: Friday, 4/30/2021
- Score: Game 1 – Albertus Magnus 5, Anna Maria 4 (9 innings) | Game 2 – Albertus Magnus 2, Anna Maria 1
- Records: Falcons of Albertus Magnus (9-5, 9-3 GNAC), AMCATS of Anna Maria (4-18, 1-13 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The AMCATS jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third in game one, with freshman catcher Saylor Costa (E. Providence, RI) singling up the middle to plate junior center fielder Shay Savoie (Namao, AB). Sophomore third baseman Kendall McNamee (Somers, CT) later hit a sacrifice fly to center to drive in freshman shortstop Eden Forget (Worcester, MA). In the top of the fifth, Anna Maria took a 3-1 lead when freshman second baseman Kiara Edmonds (Lynn, MA) singled up the middle to drive in Savoie for her second run of the game. Down 4-3 in the top of the seventh, the AMCATS stayed in the game as Savoie hit into an RBI groundout to plate senior left fielder Hailey Shaw (Salem, NH), tying the game up and sending it to extra innings. But the game slipped out of Anna Maria's hands in the bottom of the ninth as the Falcons scored on a walk-off for the 5-4 final.
- Game two again saw the AMCATS score first, with Savoie scoring from third off a failed pickoff throw to second to put Anna Maria ahead 1-0 in the top of the third. But the Falcons plated two runs in the bottom of the sixth, then held on for the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Anna Maria sophomore pitcher Kaitlyn Snyder (Cromwell, CT) allowed just two earned runs in eight and two-thirds innings in game one, in one of her best performances of the season.
- Anna Maria senior pitcher Sabrina Liston (Rehoboth, MA) had an impressive start, allowing just two earned runs and scattering four hits over six innings.
- Anna Maria will wrap up their regular season on Saturday, as the team plays host to Albertus Magnus in a 12:00 p.m. double-header. The AMCATS are scheduled to recognize their outgoing senior class as part of Senior Day in between the games.