NEWTON, MASS: The Anna Maria College softball team opened their GNAC schedule by losing both games in their Friday double-header at Lasell University at Taylor Field in Newton, Massachusetts, falling 10-6 in game one, before coming up just short in a rally attempt in game two, 6-5.
- Date: March 26, 2021
- Score: Game One – Lasell 10, Anna Maria 6 / Game Two – Lasell 6, Anna Maria 5
- Records: Lasell (6-0, 2-0 GNAC), Anna Maria (3-5, 0-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game one, Anna Maria jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when junior Shay Savoie (Namao, AB), continuing her stellar play of late, singled to center, then capitalized on a misplayed ball to come all the way around to score, putting the AMCATS in front. Then down 3-1 in the top of the second, freshman Kiara Edmonds (Lynn, MA) scored from third on a wild pitch. Then sophomore Kyleigh Campbell (Merrimac, MA) tied it up at 3-3 with an RBI groundout to plate junior Ashley Garcia (Cornwall, NY). Later in the top of the seventh, freshman Eden Forget (Worcester, MA) plated senior Hailey Shaw (Salem, NH) off an RBI groundout. Finally, sophomore Kendall McNamee (Somers, CT / Somers) hit an RBI single to right field to plate the final run of the game in a 10-6 win for the Lasers.
- Game two again saw the AMCATS take the early lead. In the top of the second, Edmonds hit an RBI single up the middle to drive in McNamee. Anna Maria made it 2-0 in the top of the fourth when McNamee scored off an RBI sacrifice bunt from junior Kassandra Register (Bakersfield, CA). Down 6-2 in the top of the seventh, the AMCATS rallied with RBI hits from Shaw, Forget, and McNamee, coming up just one run short.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Tuesday when they travel to Johnson & Wales University for a 4:00 p.m. doubleheader.