LEICESTER, MASS: The Anna Maria College softball team scored nine unanswered runs in the top of the fifth inning of game two to split their double-header at Becker College on Thursday afternoon in a matchup of cross-county rivals played at Russell Field in Leicester, Massachusetts. The AMCATS fell short to the Hawks in game one, 7-4, before rallying from six runs down to stun Becker in game two, 12-9.
- Date: March 25, 2021
- Score: Game One – Becker 7, Anna Maria 4 / Game Two – Anna Maria 12, Becker 9
- Records: Becker (4-4), Anna Maria (3-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In game one, the Anna Maria lineup was smothered for much of the game by the Becker pitching, but finally broke through in the top of the fourth off an RBI single from sophomore Kyleigh Campbell (Merrimac, MA) to plate freshman Kailey Chapman (Millville, MA). Down 7-1 in the top of the seventh, the AMCATS refused to give up, as Campbell doubled in a run off a hit to left center, plating freshman Averi Ayre (North Attleboro, MA). Two batters later, Campbell herself scored off a sacrifice fly from junior Kassandra Register (Bakersfield, CA). Down to their final out, freshman Eden Forget (Worcester, MA) singled to right center to score freshman Saylor Costa (E. Providence, RI), pulling Anna Maria to within three runs. They were unable to get closer, however, with a 7-4 final. Anna Maria sophomore pitcher Kaitlyn Snyder (Cromwell, CT) struck out three Hawks in three innings.
- In game two, the AMCATS just on the board first in the top of the first when Forget singled through the left side to plate junior Shay Savoie (Namao, AB), giving Anna Maria the 1-0 lead. Two batters later, Costa would drive in Forget off a single to right field to put the visitors up 2-0. Late down 5-2 in the top of the third, Anna Maria would bet a run back off the bat of Savoie as the junior crushed her first home run of the season – and the first of the season for the AMCATS – to pull her team to within two at 5-3 off the solo shot. In the top of the fifth and now trailing 9-3, Anna Maria's offense exploded. Coming to the plate with two outs but with the bases juiced, Campbell singled up the right side to plate a run and keep the AMCATS' hopes alive. The very next at-bat, senior Michelle Cilley (Dracut, MA / Dracut) plated two more runs off a double to left field, pulling Anna Maria to within three. Register was up next, singling to center field to drive in Chapman. Now down by two runs with the potential tying run on base, Savoie came to the plate and belted her second home run of the game, giving the AMCATS a 10-9 lead. Two batters later, junior Ashley Garcia (Cornwall, NY), who starred in yesterday's wins at Worcester State, came to the plate and launched a two-run home run over the left field fence. Improbably, Anna Maria had taken a 12-9 advantage. That would hold up for the final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Forget went five-for-eight on the day with two RBI whiles Campbell totaled three-for-six with three RBI.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Friday when they open their GNAC league play with a 3:00 p.m. double-header at Lasell University.