WORCESTER, MASS: The Anna Maria College softball team swept both games of their double-header at Worcester State University on Wednesday afternoon in a matchup of cross-county rivals, winning a back-and-forth game one, 9-8, before pulling away in game two, 5-2, at Raymond Diamond Field in Worcester.
- Date: March 24, 2021
- Score: Game One – Anna Maria 9, WSU 8 / Game Two – Anna Maria 5, WSU 2
- Records: Worcester State (0-4), Anna Maria (2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Down 4-0 after two innings, the AMCATS got on the board in the top of the third when freshman Eden Forget (Worcester, MA) scored from third off a failed attempt to steal second. Then down 5-1 in the top of the fourth, Anna Maria exploded for five runs, the first of those off a sacrifice fly RBI from senior Michelle Cilley (Dracut, MA). Then junior Shay Savoie (Namao, AB) plated another run off a double to left center. Junior Ashley Garcia (Cornwall, NY) drove in two more off a double to center, tying the game at 5-5. The AMCATS pulled ahead when freshman Saylor Costa (E. Providence, RI) doubled to drive in Garcia. Then in the top of the fifth inning, with the score tied at 6-6, a couple of costly errors in the outfield by the Lancers let Cilley plate two runs off a sacrifice fly. Finally, with the score tied at 8-8 in the top of the sixth, sophomore Kaitlyn Snyder (Cromwell, CT) plated the eventual game-winning run with an RBI groundout to drive in Garcia. Anna Maria would prevail with a 9-8 final.
- In game two, the AMCATS just on the board first in the top of the first when Garcia singled down the right field line to plate Savoie. In the top of the fifth, it was Garcia again doubling to left-center to plate Cilley and Anna Maria went up 2-0. In the top of the sixth, the AMCATS poured it on, adding three runs with a sophomore Kendall McNamee (Somers, CT) getting the party started with a triple to right field. Junior Kassandra Register (Bakersfield, CA) plated McNamee with a sacrifice fly, followed by a sac fly from Savoie to put Anna Maria ahead 5-1. They would hold on for a 5-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Forget picked up the win in game one for her first career victory, striking out three in just three-and-a-third-innings in relief. Forget then went the distance in game two, allowing just two earned runs over seven innings.
- Garcia went a combined four-for-eight on the day, driving in four runs and tallying two doubles.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Thursday when they travel to Becker College for a 3:00 p.m. double-header.