BRISTOL, R.I. : The Anna Maria College softball team opened their 2021 season with a pair of losses at Roger Williams University on Wednesday afternoon in Bristol, Rhode Island.
- Date: March 17, 2021
- Score: Game 1 – Roger Williams 2, Anna Maria 1 (8 innings)
Game 2 – Roger Williams 3, Anna Maria 1
- Records: Roger Williams (3-1), Anna Maria (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game One saw Anna Maria freshman pitcher Eden Forget (Worcester, MA) pitch a gem for the AMCATS as she went seven-and-one-third innings, allowing just one earned run and striking out five Hawks. Anna Maria scored their first run of the season off an RBI triple in the top of the third from junior outfielder Shay Savoie (Namao, AB) to plate junior outfielder Kassandra Register (Bakersfield, CA), tying the game up at 1-1. Roger Williams ultimately prevailed in extra innings when senior infielder Katrina Goria hit an RBI single in the bottom of the eighth to plate the winning run.
- In the nightcap, Anna Maria freshman catcher Saylor Costa (E. Providence, RI) recorded her first career RBI with a sacrifice fly in the top of the first to drive in Forget, putting the AMCATS ahead 1-0. In the bottom of the fourth, the Hawks would answer when senior outfielder Tara Chatowsky capitalized off an error in the outfield, coming around to score and tying it up. Roger Williams surged ahead in the bottom of the fifth, with back-to-back RBI base hits from freshman outfielder Kasey Ruo and freshman catcher Taylor Howell. The 3-1 score would hold up. Anna Maria sophomore pitcher Kaitlyn Snyder (Cromwell, CT) allowed three earned runs over six innings.
- Anna Maria returns to action next Wednesday when they host Norther Vermont University – Lyndon.