NEWPORT, RI - The Anna Maria men's soccer (2-2-0) dropped their match to the Salve Regina Seahawks (2-0-1), 5-0 in non-conference action Saturday evening at Toppa Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Seahawks came out strong on the offensive end right away as they were able to score nine minutes into the contest as Evan Hilbie (Berlin, CT) found the back of the net off a cross pass in front of the goalie box to give Salve Regina an early 1-0 lead. Hilbe was not done after that goal and capitalized off an AMCATS turnover and put his shot into the right side of the net for an early 2-0 lead.
- As the half went on, the AMCATS had their opportunities as they were able to generate five shots, but the Seahawks went on to score five more times for a 7-0 halftime lead.
- In the second half, the AMCATS defense held their own as Salve Regina only scored twice off of penalty kicks and took just 12 shots. Anna Maria had their chances to get on the board including a high shot from Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) that just missed the upper left-hand corner of the goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Kyle Sherman (Mount Laurel, NJ) made his first collegiate start and collected 18 saves on the evening.
- Anna Maria saw five players tied for the lead in shots at 1: Adeyeye, Steven Makynen (Uxbridge, MA), Sylvester Ofori (Worcester, MA), Jared Schuster (Endwell, NY), and Caleb Wu (New Hartford, NY).
- Hilbie completed a hat trick in the match off a penalty kick for Salve Regina.
Anna Maria has a few days off before they return back to AMCAT Field on Tuesday, September 10 against Union College for Holden Youth Soccer Night. Salve Regina continues their homestand when they host UMass-Dartmouth on Wednesday, September 11 at 4:00 PM.