PAXTON, MA- Thanks to a career and program-best five goals from freshman Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI), the Anna Maria men's soccer team (2-0) topped Becker College (0-1) 5-2 Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at AMCAT Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria was able to strike first at the 19:52 mark after Adeyeye put the ball past the keeper to give the AMCATS an early 1-0 lead. For the rest of the half, the defense and keeper Jefferey Donahue (Rockland, MA) shut down the Hawks offense to keep Becker scoreless.
- The second half started with great play back and forth between both squads, but Becker was able to tie the contest up off a header shortly after a minute into the half. However, Adeyeye put the squad ahead for good from a penalty kick that went past the goalie's left side to give Anna Maria a 2-1 lead. Shortly after at the 35:38 mark, Adeyeye tacked on another goal as he raced past two defenders courtesy of a lead pass from freshman Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ).
- Adeyeye would go on to score again for Anna Maria as he flew by his defender and put it past the goalie's weak side on a diving save attempt. Becker would answer 21 seconds later to cut the AMCATS lead in half, 4-2. But it was the closest they would get for the rest of the afternoon.
- At the 24:04 mark, Adeyeye received another great lead pass from Nichols where he then lofted the ball over the keeper's head and scored his fifth goal of the game for a commanding 5-2 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Donahue would go on to make six saves on the day to continue his great start to the season.
- Adeyeye's five goals are a program-best which topped Enco Luka's (Worcester, MA) previous record of four (9/11/12 vs. Fisher).
- Behind Adeyeye's team-leading seven shots, three AMCATS were tied for second with three (Lawrence and Matthew Pearle (East Wareham, MA)).
Anna Maria will have a few days off before they continue their homestand on Wednesday, September 4, 2019, at 6:00 PM vs. Pine Manor. Becker has their home opener vs. Salem St. on Wednesday, September 4, 2019.