MILTON, MA. – The Anna Maria Men's Soccer team (1-0) topped the Curry Colonels (0-1) 3-2 in non-conference action on their season opener Friday evening at Walter M. Katz Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Curry was able to get things going right away in the first half as they scored one minute in after Anna Maria turned the ball over near mid-field. From there, Curry was able to pass the ball upfield to the corner and scored off the cross. After multiple opportunities to try to tie the match, the AMCATS were finally able to do so. Junior Simon Berry (Londonderry, NH) sent a beautiful pass over the defense as he found a running Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) who lofted the ball over the goalie for his first collegiate goal.
- Later on the in the half, Anna Maria took their first lead of the contest after Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ) sent a rocket a little above the goalie box, but Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA) collected the rebound and gave the squad a 2-1 lead. Before the half ended at the 41-minute mark, Curry turned the ball over near their goalie and Lawrence capitalized for his second goal of the contest which made it 3-1.
- Both teams played a tough first half as each totaled 10 shots but the Colonels peppered 'Cats goalie, Jefferey Donahue (Rockland, MA) with 16 shots in the second half (26 in total). However, thanks to Donahue's stellar play and multiple diving saves, he was able to keep the lead safe and help secure the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Anna Maria led both teams in saves 10-4.
- Adeyeye led the squad in shots with four followed by Larence with three, and freshman Christian Aldana (Clinton Corners, NY) rounded out the top three with two.
- Today marked the AMCATS first season-opening win in six years (August 31, 2013, 4-2 vs. Mitchell)
Anna Maria is back in action tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 PM as they host Becker College (0-0). Curry will have a couple of days off before they host Lesley on Sunday, September 1, 2019, at 1:00 PM.