- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria men's lacrosse team easily handled nonconference opponent Mitchell College this evening on Caparso Field, 22-4.
- Date: 2/26/2020
- Score: Anna Maria 22, Mitchell 4
- Records: Mitchell (0-2), Anna Maria (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The AMCATS scored the first eight goals of the game with all of them coming in the first quarter. In total the first was the biggest scoring quarter for Anna Maria with nine goals. Mitchell was able to net two goals in the last five minutes of the quarter to make the score 9-2 going into the second.
- The 'CATS tallied another five goals in the second with five different players beating the Mariners keeper.
- Pavoni was credited with his third goal, while Tommy Girard (Newbury, MA), Kory Fortier (Oxford, MA), and Zion Mercado (Limerick, ME) all picking up their second goals of the game. Eric Glover (Baldwinville, MA) was also able to pick up his first goal of the contest.
- After the intermission, the AMCATS brought a 14-2 lead into the third quarter where they scored another six unanswered goals. The quarter was dominated by Pavoni as he picked up his fourth and fifth goals and Glover who also found the net for his second and third. Fortier was also able to rack up his third score. There was just one new scorer in the third in Michael Lopez (Sleepy Hollow, NY) who was able to take the ball off the faceoff and bring it down for the score.
- The last quarter of play was split between the two squads with Ethan LePain scoring both goals for the Mariners. Lopez picked up his second score off of a turnover and James Cavallo (Duxbury, MA) tallied his first of the season to get the final of 22-4.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Marcel Quinlan picked up his second loss of the season after facing 39 shots and saving 19 of them.
- Griffin Moore (Worcester, MA) got the win tonight, marking his first of the season. He faced 10 shots and saved 6 of them.
- LePain held the team high in scoring with 2 goals and one assist.
- Pavoni had a game high 5 goals with 4 assists and 3 ground balls.
- Glover and Fortier both finished with 3 goals apiece. Glover added 2 assists while Fortier had three.
- The AMCATS outshot Mitchell 76 to 18.
- Anna Maria returns to action for another home contest this Saturday against Oneonta at 12:00 pm.