- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria men's ice hockey team fell to second-year program Albertus Magnus this evening at Horgan Arena by a score of 6-4.
- Date: 2/27/2021
- Score: Albertus (AMC) 6, Anna Maria (ANM) 4.
- Records: AMC (1-0), Anna Maria (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Saturday night contest started with both teams evenly matched, moving up and down the ice. Neither team had been able to set up any lengthy possession to this point, and Cam Tobey (Falmouth, MA) found the back of the on two beautiful passes by Lukas Radina (Horazdovice, CZ) and Quinn Tucker (Hancock, NH) just under five minutes into the first. Those passes allowed Tobey to get within 10 feet of the tender and beat him glove side.
- Anna Maria's lead only lasted about seven minutes before Dino Antoniadis tied it up on a power play goal.
- The second period was a quiet one from both sides, with just one goal scored in the period. The Falcons were the beneficiaries of that score just 3:07 into the second. Jordan Sgro was credited with the goal after receiving a pass from Owen Allan and Jack Hannan.
- The third period was filled with action on both sides of the ice, as seven goals were scored in the period. Albertus struck first with their third and fourth unanswered goals. Charles Risk and Owen Allen beat AMCAT tender Julius Huset (Oakdale, MN) to extend the lead to 4-1.
However, the AMCATS didn't go away quietly as they answered back with two straight scores of their own to cut the deficit to just one. Radina netted the first one for the 'CATS, and Guillaume Coulombe (Ste-Julie, QC) struck home with the second on a power play.
After that, it was back and forth with the Falcons extending their lead once more 12:28 into the period on a goal from Jonathan Stein right off a faceoff. Risk won it cleanly and sent it middle ice to Stein for the shot that just snuck past the Anna Maria tender.
- Anna Maria made it a one-point deficit again with a 6 on 5 man advantage after pulling the goalie. Jack Sitzman (Redondo Beach, CA) put in the fourth goal for the AMCATS to bring the score to 4-5. But just 32 seconds later, Owen Allen finished his second goal on an empty net opportunity from the blue line to finish it for the Falcons.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Shots: AMC 26, ANM 31
- Penalties: AMC 14 minutes on 7 infractions, ANM had 10 minutes on 5 infractions.
- Power Play: AMC 1 for 3, ANM 1 for 5.
- Anna Maria returns to action on Friday as they travel to New England College to start the team's second doubleheader weekend. The puck drop is slated for 7 PM. Make sure to tune into the live stream on goamcats.com