- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria Men's Basketball team completed a 14-point come back to take down Mitchell College in overtime this evening in non-conference action, 87-83.
- Date: 12/13/2019
- Score: Anna Maria 87, Mitchell 83
- Records: Mitchell (2-7), Anna Maria (3-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The AMCATS started the contest with a 9-0 run hitting all three shots from behind the arc. Mitchell, however, would heat up and overtake Anna Maria with 14 minutes left in the first half and they wouldn't look back. The Mariners took a 10-point lead into the locker room, 41-31.
- In the second Mitchell would extend their lead to 14 points with 19:03 left and would hold that for several minutes.
- It was as if a switch flipped on with 16:30 left for the AMCATS after a huge 3-point jumper from senior Bobby Perette (Marshfield, MA) flipping momentum in the AMCATS favor. The Mariners slowly watched their lead dwindle and disappear with 11:41 remaining.
- The remainder of the game was a back and forth battle that led into overtime, where Mitchell would grab a quick 2-point lead that wouldn't last after a dominant performance from Mike Rapoza (Charlton, MA) who scored 21 of his 27 points in the second half.
- Anna Maria would take the lead in overtime and held on to win it, 87-83.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jalen Benson was the top performer for Mitchell with a team high 22 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists.
- Mike Rapoza had the game high in both points and rebounds. He compiled 21 rebounds and dropped 27 points.
- Bobby Perette also had night as he dropped a solid 25 points with 2 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Kennedy Minix-Rogers had a season high 17 points after shooting 4 of 8 from behind the 3-point line. His stat line also included 4 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Anna Maria returns to action on the 29th as they travel to Utica with the tipoff scheduled for 4 PM.